Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Thursday Night Preview

Grey's Anatomy (ABC) 9:00PM Premier 9/24
Gavin's Take - Yes I still watch it. Has it gone downhill? Yes, although I will admit the dramatic reveal that George was the victim who ultimately was killed in the finale was a very enjoyable piece of television. I'm hoping that Grey's Anatomy will recapture some of the magic of the first two seasons, but I'm afraid they're going to have a very difficult time doing so. This is one of the shows I'm likely to have a decent amount to talk about, but hopefully it won't all be negative!
Alison's Take - This show is on my last nerve. I remember when this show first premiered, it was something new, refreshing, catchy and well written. What happened? The characters grew up and stopped being interns, that’s what. The writing staff took some huge cuts and brought in chimpanzees. Not only is the dialogue wavering but the undertones and themes of this show are as well. I think last season, the writers wanted to focus on the doctors and god complex. And instead of letting the show do the talking they had Derek say it three or four times. Ugh. I hope this show took this down time to review previous seasons and have decided to take a turn towards being a respectable show.

Private Practice (ABC) 10:00PM
Premier 10/1
Gavin's Take - I watch this one too, although like Desperate Housewives, it's not entirely my choice. I find that I don't care about the characters. Any of them. I don't care if the business fails, I don't care if they have relationship trouble, I just don't care. What makes me sad is that I like Taye Diggs and Audra McDonald, and would love this show to be a success, I can't honestly root for it fully. That being said, obviously I've been outvoted by the public, because it's been quite a success, so good for them. And heck, I'll end up watching anyway.

Community (NBC) 8:00PM Premier 9/17
Gavin's Take - Who knows with these new shows. It looks amusing, but also looks like it could be very, very grating. Is this a new version of Kath & Kim? Hopefully not, but it's difficult to say from the trailers and "previews" they've leaked so far. If you recall, Kath & Kim also had some pretty funny moments, but they were few and far between and ultimately couldn't save the doomed show. Will Community suffer the same fate? My prediction is that we'll know within two episodes if it's going to be renewed for another season (or two).
Alison's Take - This looks hilarious. I’ve watched Joel McHale on E!’s The Soup for awhile now. Because of that I’m giving this show a chance.

Parks & Recreation (NBC) 8:30PM Premier 9/17
Gavin's Take - Parks & Recreation is a show that I have mixed feelings on. Will I watch it? Probably, it's sandwiched between other shows that I watch. It's one of the few comedies on television that I enjoy (although there are others debuting this season which MIGHT be of a high quality). It really seems like the kind of show that needs to find its voice. The deliberately kooky Leslie Knope is entertaining but somewhat one-note, and the surrounding characters have their moments. We'll see if the show grows into a show that can't be missed. I have my doubts, but for now I'll still follow.

The Office (NBC) 9:00PM
Premier 9/17
Gavin's Take - Perhaps my favorite comedy on television right now. Other shows are close, and several shows make me laugh out loud, but really this is one of those rare shows that I can watch over and over again. I almost never delete Office episodes off my TiVo, because I love watching old episodes, especially when there's nothing else on. As other commentators have said, I love when the Office incorporates all the characters, but when they do it's one of the more purely entertaining things on television.

30 Rock (NBC) 9:30PM Premier 10/15
Gavin's Take - Yes! The only thing I'm disappointed about regarding this premier is that it doesn't happen until October! What the heck NBC, are you trying to drive me nuts? Seriously, I don't understand the goal in pushing the premier back, but I suppose as long as it comes back at all I'm a happy camper. The perfect end to a great Thursday night of television.
Alison's Take - What no Liz Lemon until October? I’m not sure I can handle that. Quick must go to Hulu and feed my addiction. Ah, that’s better.

Project Runway (Lifetime) 10:00PM Now Playing
Gavin's Take - I watch Project Runway, but probably won't have too much to say about it. The characters are (sometimes) entertaining, but by and large the editing drives me a little nuts. I enjoy some of the outfits that are created, but I'm almost always in disagreement with the judges. Clearly I know nothing about high fashion. Although I suppose that's something that was pretty well known in advance...

Other shows I may/may not watch:
Flash Forward (ABC) 8:00PM Premier 9/24
The Mentalist (CBS) 10:00PM Premier 9/24

No comments:

Post a Comment